Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lincoln

Life is so indefinable, so elusive, so... unique. After so many centuries on this globe, each person continues to defy close similarity to another. New inventions are created, ideas transform, mold, continue to grow--organisms of their own. I wish that the country of America was not without lasting edifices to display and encapsulate the flow and change of ancient history.

So. This past Wednesday, my British Studies class (and everyone else's at this college--which means that all 172 students were there) made a trip to the beautiful town of Lincoln, and the day was divided into four parts.

It fell to my lot, that first fourth of the day, to just explore the town. And quite a town it was. We went down steep hill (which is definitely the steepest street I've ever seen). We made it by Jew House (which, incidentally, became famous because Jews were killed after being blamed for killing a young man that they did not kill). From that point on, we continued down to the river where my group found the most amazing swans. These swans were vicious. People were throwing bread in the river, and those swans were going at it. I mean, if I needed to fight a war, I'd want a single regiment of these swans. And I'd be sure of victory. And oh yes, the final most exciting thing that I found: The Green Dragon (definite reference to The Lord of the Rings!) as well as the The Witch and the Wardrobe (obviously C. S. Lewis). These events made my day phenomenal.

During the next fourth of the day, I got the wonderful chance to explore a castle that was almost entirely in tact. It had been used as a prison almost continually until about a hundred years ago. And all of the walls were still standing, more or less intact. And we had the most phenomenal guide! At least, we did after we were halfway through the Magna Carta exhibit (the real copy of which was not on display--though, cool story, this one of 41 copies of the original was randomly found within the library of the Cathedral several hundred years after it was put there). So, our new guide walked in and showed us everything. We went through the main tower where they hanged prisoners for many years. In fact, apparently the first jerk-drop sort of hanging was first used there to kill prisoners.

After a very quick lunch (because my group chose to let our castle tour continue onward into our lunch hour until it was fully completed), I moved on to the Cathedral. And it was gorgeous. This impressive Cathedral showed many different types of Architecture, starting with the Romanesque style of the Normans and later additions (because of an earthquake and additions) in the Gothic and Perpendicular Gothic styles. It was gorgeous, with three beautiful towers looking down upon the beautiful cross-shaped structure. I found myself very overawed by this place once more. I have officially decided that I absolutely love cathedrals.

After the slow, wonderful tour of the cathedral, our group finished the last fourth of the day with a brief tour of most of the Roman remains scattered throughout the town. It is so odd to realize that the level of the town streets had raised about ten to fifteen feet. It is really truly astounding. Perhaps the most poignant example of this is the Newport Arch. This arch is still in use--cars still pass beneath it. That means that this former gateway to Roman Lindon Colonia was extremely tall, considering the rise of street level since then. The remains of the Roman forum, the sewer system, and the water storage system were all quite impressive.

And that ends my trip to Lincoln on Wednesday, September 17th. It was.... beautiful beyond words. Life on this side of the pond continues to amaze, astound, and dazzle.

Pictures:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2038392&l=8794b&id=50403476
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2038398&l=8a876&id=50403476

No comments:

Asking for time to decipher the signs...

What is there to know? I'm just another guy trying to figure out what it means to truly love, to truly live, to embrace life to the fullest. If I ever get some answers, I'll let you know. "So live on, / Breathing in every sigh / Hurt and joy / Truly living life to its fullness / Leaving no dream unturned / Or unfulfilled / Live on / Life awaits" -excerpt from "Nostalgia" by me.