Monday, September 15, 2008

Of Legends and Myths

What is it within us that thirsts for belief in those mythical figures of the past? Why do we desire to hear the glorious tales of King Arthur, the legendary exploits of William Wallace, and even the mythical deeds of Robin Hood? I doubt we'll ever know.

But, I will be frankly honest, it is the desire to see the place where Robin Hood resided, to walk the streets of this place that held such close ties with this mythical figure. And there was something about it, something to intangible to define, that touched me. I know that at some time this past Saturday, I must have matched steps with this inspiring person.

Of course, I know that this left me with expectations that Nottingham failed to meet. The town was absolutely gorgeous--with ornate architecture adorning every building and much of it older than my own country. But, I was suprised to find it so commercial. I guess what surprised me is that it was not a large tourist place at all; in fact, it was mainly the commercial hub of the surrounding towns, a place for locals to congregate.

That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy myself, though. My group consisted of two of my latest friends (Kelly and Emily) and we had a blast walking around the city. We soon found the walls of the castle ruins with an inn that claimed to have been around since the crusades lying at the bottom. From there we went and saw the Robin Hood statue before making our way to the castle entrance, the gatehouse being the only true remaining piece of the castle. We explored the extremely knew (at least, in comparison with everything else I have seen since I have been here) grounds and had a good time.

From there, we went to see St. Peter's Church, and it was just magnificent. A church had stood on that spot for over a thousand church, the builidng that we saw having parts dating almost 600 years old. My group handled my desire to find a book fairly well--but I was rather disappointed when I found it impossible to find a fictional book of Robin Hood that wasn't in the kid's section. The bookstore said there was a classic book about the tales of Robin Hood, but that they didn't carry it (seriously--Nottingham doesn't carry Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood?).

From there, we eventually made it to St Mary's Church, just in time to hear a wedding going on inside and hear the wedding bells go off. It was wonderful, until the priest came to the side door, and without saying a word to us, shut the door in our faces.... I have to admit, that was a first in my life. But I guess you just have to take life's fickle changes one by one. Overall, it was a good day, albiet a long one.

And it did not just end with our trip to Nottingham. That evening, Emily and I headed over to The Gregory pub that is just across the street from Harlaxton's mile long driveway and each had an... interesting beer. Grouse was in the middle of the name, and it was served flat and warm, English style. But what was the most phenomenal part of that evening was not the drinks, or even the location, but the Englishwomen and her Portuguese friend that sat at our outside table shortly after we sat down. It was a wonderful experience. Emma, the Englishwomen in her early thirties, actually works at the Gregory most days and is from the Grantham area, while her friend Patricia is about the same age and spoke in a noticable English accent. Both of them were smoking, and apparently they had made it halfway through the 20 plus beers that the Gregory was serving temporarily for a summer festival.

It was so enjoyable to just get to chat and hear a decidedly British perspective on the Harlaxton students, travelling around the area, and even getting information on the best places to go to in Portugal. They were also a tad tipsy, and that just made the conversation all the more entertaining. Oh yes, this evening also marked my third finished alcoholic beverage since I have turned 21. All in all, it was definitely a good evening. Who can say what is going to be next around the river bend?

For Nottingham pictures:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2038166&l=d9386&id=50403476

But you know what amazes me most? Every semester, God is faithful to place friends into my life. Every season it is the same. Though my group of friends is dynamic while I'm here at school, I know that I will always settle into the place he has designated for me by the time all is said and done. God is good all the time, nu?

1 comment:

Kindall said...

Hooray for God-sent friends. :)

Asking for time to decipher the signs...

What is there to know? I'm just another guy trying to figure out what it means to truly love, to truly live, to embrace life to the fullest. If I ever get some answers, I'll let you know. "So live on, / Breathing in every sigh / Hurt and joy / Truly living life to its fullness / Leaving no dream unturned / Or unfulfilled / Live on / Life awaits" -excerpt from "Nostalgia" by me.